Saturday, June 1, 2013

What's My Style?

I am asking myself this question, especially as I sew and create more clothing for other people. It seems silly to promote style, fashion and beautiful clothing when I myself have not worn anything too different since my twenties. So here I am at forty years of age and wondering, what in the world is my style? Do I even have one?

I have always been a practical gal. I love comfort, ease of movement and clothes that do not squeeze, pinch or other non fun  things. When I was twenty-four, I was very active, I ran several miles a day, worked out, and on weekends went hiking, mountain biking, trips to the beach with sister and friends. I moved, physically moved most of the day and my job also required me to be active. So I wore shorts, it was California after all, and I could wear shorts most of the year. Which was wonderful because running in the rain is fun in shorts, it sucks in anything else.I wore nice dresses, skirts or slacks to church with some pretty awesome heels and I felt amazing. Short cute skirt with button up blouses in white cotton for the summer heat, and silk flowing blouses for other times. I knew what I liked and it fit me, so yes I was a happy camper.

Fast forward about a decade. A horrible marriage, some serious weight gain, a dramatic divorce and several years of recovery I found myself back in college. So pretty simple there, jeans, shorts, t-shirts and hoodies. I had no desire to stand out too much because I was going to fix my life and be able to financially take care of myself. Ha, well that has yet to happen but that is besides the point.

I then went to Massage Therapy school and once again, it was shorts and t-shirts. I had lost some weight so found a couple of dresses I could tolerate, but if you were to ask me what was my style? I would not be able to tell you. I was more survive, get through school and some how manage to feed myself, pay bills, work     two jobs and go to school.

I can honestly say that over the last well 16 years I have not had a style. I wore what worked and as my weight went up and down depending on the stress of my life, I gave up even trying.

I have beautiful heels in my closet that I barely wear. One black pair of slacks, one sparkle top, one dot dress that really doesn't fit well anymore and the rest of the time its leggings, t-shirts, and one blue knit skirt for banging around and one black one that I made out of desperation.

Make-up? What is that? It sits on my counter and I hardly touch it. I guess you could say I am style depressed. Is that a term?

So as I put clothing together on Polyvore, point out prints that would look beautiful on my friends and sisters. Create amazing dresses and outfits for others, I feel like a fraud. How can I do this for everyone one else but myself?  That is truly a question that I am pondering. I did purchase a bold type cotton print to create a wrap skirt for myself. That is going up on the Summer of No Pants Challenge Board hopefully today. But now the question is what do I wear with it? I suppose I will have to do some shopping and look around.

So ladies this blog and sewing for others is forcing me to take a look at myself. I am starting to ask the questions and I hope that as I travel this interesting road that my crazy adventures and journey will in some way help you too. So to myself and to you, do not despair, give yourself time and maybe find one thing that will break the mold a tad. I did, I purchased material I would not have worn in a million years. But you know I am excited to see what I can do with it and how I will look in it, once I have the skirt and outfit put together!




3 comments:

  1. I've been asking myself the same questions lately. I opened my dresser one day and realized that most days the clothes I wear could pass for pajamas. I've been looking at pictures of me when I was younger to see what colors look best on me and trying to remember what I wore the last time that I felt like I could own a room. I am making it my goal this year to find my style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is hope! I truly believe that, I feel it takes time because as our lives and situations change, so do we. And it is taking that time to find our true selves, that gal under the weights of life, mother hood, wife, PTA person, daughter, mother, etc. Thank you so much for your reply I do appreciate it and it is nice to know I am not the only one on this journey!

      Delete